- Criminal Law
- Driving While Intoxicated
- Traffic Violations
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Virginia
- William and Mary School of Law, J.D.
- Virginia Commonwealth University, M.P.A.
- Virginia Military Institute, B.A.
Mitch Wells limits his practice to the areas of criminal law, DUI and traffic violations, and has successfully defended over a thousand cases. He has been repeatedly recognized for his legal skill, ability, achievement and ethics by the publications of Virginia Super Lawyers and Richmond Magazine. Additionally, he also holds an “AV Preeminent” rating from Martindale-Hubbell and a rating of “Superb” from AVVO, each organization’s highest legal rating for ethical standards and legal ability.
Prior to entering private practice several years ago, Mr. Wells served as an Assistant Attorney General in the Health Care Fraud section of the Office of the Attorney General for the Commonwealth of Virginia. In that capacity, he was responsible for supervising various fraud investigations and litigating Virginia false claim actions in federal court pursuant to the Federal False Claims Act and the Virginia Fraud Against Taxpayers Act.
Before becoming an attorney, Mr. Wells served as a Virginia State Trooper for eight years and was a judicial law clerk to the Honorable Robert E. Payne, Judge, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia. As a former State Trooper, he investigated thousands of criminal, drug, DUI, traffic and accident cases; was rated “exceptional” by the Virginia State Police; and, he received 23 commendations for his exemplary service to the Commonwealth of Virginia. He was also filmed by the television show “Real Stories of the Highway Patrol.” Mr. Wells was certified by the Virginia Department of Forensic Science as a Breath Test Operator, and by the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services as a Crime Prevention Specialist, General Instructor, R.A.D.A.R. operator, V.A.S.C.A.R. operator, and to administer the NHTSA standardized field sobriety tests.
- Virginia State Bar
- National College for DUI Defense
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Virginia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Richmond Criminal Bar Association
- Lewis F. Powell, Jr. American Inn of Court
- VA Defenses
- Top Attorneys in Virginia 2013 by The Legal Network
- Top Attorneys in Virginia 2013 by Richmond Magazine
- Virginia Super Lawyers Rising Stars 2013
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating AV Preeminent
- Client Distinction Award 2013 by Martindale-Hubbell
- Virginia Super Lawyers Rising Stars 2012
- Top Attorneys in Virginia 2012 by Richmond Magazine
- Virginia Super Lawyers Rising Stars 2011
- Top Attorneys in Richmond Criminal Defense 2011 by Richmond Magazine
- Top Attorneys in Virginia 2011 by Richmond Magazine
- Virginia Super Lawyers Rising Stars 2010
- Outstanding Young Lawyers 2010 by Richmond Magazine
- Brannon v. Commonwealth, Record No. 1419-07-2, (Va. Ct. App. 2008)
- Co-Author, “Defending The DUI Charge,” VTLA Journal, Volume 19, Number 4, 2008
- Virginia Lawyers Weekly 2008 Important Opinions
- Top Opinion of the Day November 6, 2008
Continuing Legal Education:
- 2013 Annual VTLA Criminal Law Seminar
- NCDD Summer Session, Harvard Law School, 2008 & 2010
- The Art of Persuasion: Painting Powerful Images In DUI Cases
- Frank Dunham Federal Criminal Defense Conference
- 4th Annual Indigent Criminal Defense: Advanced Skills For The Experienced Practitioner
- Virginia Criminal Sentencing Guidelines
- Defending Serious Traffic Cases: Smart Strategy, Creative Tactics
- 3rd Annual Indigent Criminal Defense: Advanced Skills For The Experienced Practitioner
- Mastering Scientific Evidence in DUI Cases
- The Criminal Defense Trial From Start To Finish
- Defense of Serious Traffic Cases in Virginia
- EC/IR II Seminar – Technological & Medical Defenses
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Annual Convention 2009 & 2011
Let us review your case today. We can help!
Virginia Super Lawyers Riley & Wells Attorneys-At-Law are experienced Criminal, DUI, Reckless Driving Speeding Ticket Traffic Defense Attorneys who practice throughout the Commonwealth, including: Alberta, Ashland, Beaverdam, Bon Air, Bowling Green, Brunswick County, Caroline County, Chester, Chesterfield County, Colonial Heights, Dinwiddie County, Doswell, Emporia, Glen Allen, Goochland County, Greensville County, Hanover County, Henrico County, Highland Springs, Hopewell, King William County, Lawrenceville, Midlothian, Mechanicsville, Montpelier, New Kent County, Louisa County, Petersburg, Powhatan County, Prince George County, Richmond, Rockville, Sandston, Short Pump, Spotsylvania County, Studley, Sussex County, Varina & Waverly. We also represent out-of-state clients.